Posted by Staff Writer on 2nd Nov 2017
The Worst Stains and How to Remove Them
Stubborn stains are the bane of existence for many moms, dads, and busy people. No one wants to see their favorite appliances disfigured by unsightly stains or see stains locked into their favorite clothing when doing the laundry. The tips below will help you get rid of even the most stubborn stains.
Kitchen appliances are notorious collectors of accumulated grease, food stains and spills. It can be easy to remove stains and restore your appliances to their original beauty with a little elbow grease.
- It’s easy for the glass carafe of coffee makers to become stained and discolored. Try a half and half mixture of vinegar and water. Run it through the full coffee making cycle and rinse thoroughly. Your coffee will taste fresher and your carafe will sparkle.
- Scrub the exterior of your stainless steel dishwasher or refrigerator with regular household cleaner. Scrub carefully, though, with a soft cloth to avoid ugly scratches.
- Tomato and other veggie stained food processors and blenders can easily shine again. Fill these stained countertop appliances with hot water, a few drops of dishwashing liquid, and a half teaspoon of bleach. Run for one minute and rinse well, then wipe the exterior.
- Plastic coated appliances like toasters can develop a yellow tinge over time. You can restore them to their original clean sheen with a cloth or sponge dampened with a mixture of bleach, baking soda, and water. Wipe the appliance, let it sit for ten minutes, and wipe again.
- Clean up spills and splatter as soon as possible because an ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure.
The key to handling laundry stains in to get them out of clothing before they go through the washer – and especially the dryer – and set in. That’s where pre-treaters come in. Try pretreating laundry stains with an enzyme based detergent or commercial pre-treatment solution.
- Get rid of grass stains by treating with one of the solutions above. Rub directly into the stain and wash as you normally would. White vinegar and water works wonders on grass stains as well.
- Chocolate may be the stuff of dreams when you’re eating it, but not when it’s staining your clothes. Gently scrub with one of the recommended solutions and a soft bristle toothbrush and wash as usual in hot water.
- If you catch them right away, you don’t need a pre-treater to get rid of blood stains. Simply treat blood stains by soaking as soon as possible in plain cold water.
- Banish grease stains by rinsing quickly, then following up with a soak in laundry detergent. Give the detergent time to soak up the grease before adding it to your laundry.
- Blot – don’t scrub – ink stains, treat with pre-treater, soak for a minute or two, and wash using an enzyme based detergent.
Whenever you can, pre-treat stains as quickly as possible. Treating them while they’re fresh is much easier than scrubbing them when they’ve dried. Also, inspect each item before you launder it to ensure stains don’t set in. These tips and the ones listed above will help keep your home and laundry stain-free and gleaming
Reasons to clean your dryer lint trapThe dryer can be of different types. Not every dryer is built with a similar design. There are some dryers in which the lint trap is visible and then there are some in which it is invisible. However, if the lint trap of your dryer is visible, there is a need to [...]
The Best Tips for Spring Cleaning your RefrigeratorWe use a number of appliances in our kitchen but a refrigerator is something no household can do without. It is the hardest working appliance too. But at the same time, it has to bear spills, overcrowding and varied odors. So with spring approaching its time to spring clean your refrigerator. [...]
Over time, odor can build up on the surfaces inside your dishwasher and in hard-to-clean places like the hoses and grinding mechanism of your disposal. Running a cycle or using bleach may temporarily mask this odor- which can be a result of lingering food particles, residue and even mineral build up – but it [...]
A Brief History of Frigidaire The group Frigidaire originated in 1918 with the acquisition of Guardian Frigerator Company by General Motors. The name change was just the first of many large changes made to this company to put it on the path to success that it was destined to achieve. Now one of the world’s largest manufacturers of refrigerators [...]
Tide Detergent Washing powders were the first form of laundry detergent, making it easier to clean clothes thoroughly without spending too much time scrubbing. Since then cleaning agent brands began popping up in the market. Procter and Gample’s Tide brand detergent has been around seemingly since washing machines came about. Now owning a whopping 30% of liquid detergent market [...]
A Brief History of Maytag“Maytag” is a popular American appliance brand which has been catering to both homeowners and business proprietors since it was founded by Frederick Maytag in 1893. While this group was originally titled the Maytag Washing Machine Company, its name was changed in 1925 to Maytag, Inc. Despite hitting a few roadblocks, especially during the Great [...]
Troubleshooting tips for your new water filter!Spring is in the air, so why not start the season with spring-fresh water? With these troubleshooting tips, and a new water filter, your fridge will dispense the cleanest water possible!1. Be sure to flush your new filter!Whenever installing a new filter, it's important to dispense 3-5 gallons of [...]
The dishwasher is an essential part of any working kitchen. It guarantees that your dishes and utensils are all disinfected and clean after every use. That is why it’s very important to maintain the cleanliness of your washer. Here are some easy steps to ensure that your dishwasher is in the best shape it can be to tackle tough [...]
How to Clean Your ToasterThe toaster oven is a key component of any busy kitchen. This lovely appliance is responsible for roasting meat, toasting bread, cooking pizza, and many other essential dinner functions. It seems there’s nothing that they can’t do! That’s why, as with any significant item in your life, it’s important to take proper care of your toaster [...]